Saturday, April 4, 2009

Bavarian Style Cube Steak (Crockpot)



1 - 1/4 lbs. cubed steak
1 Tablespoon cooking oil
2 1/2 cups water
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
1/3 cup chopped onion
2 envelopes mushroom gravy mix
2 Tablespoons vinegar


Quickly brown steaks in hot oil.

Flips steaks over and brown the other side.

Remove steak from skillet and place in bottom of crockpot.

Chop onion.

Combine gravy mix and brown sugar in medium mixing bowl.

Add water and vinegar to gravy mixture.

Add chopped onion and stir until well combined.

Pour mixture over steak in crockpot.

Cook on LOW setting for approximately 7-8 hrs. 

Thicken gravy with cornstarch (mixed with water) prior to serving, if desired.


Note: This recipe can also be prepared in a skillet. Quickly brown steaks on both sides. Add onion and cook until onion is almost tender. Combine water, gravy mix, brown sugar and vinegar; pour over steaks in skillet.

Cover and simmer for 20 - 30 minutes or until desired doneness.

Thicken gravy with cornstarch (mixed with water) prior to serving, if desired. 

9 comments:

Heather said...

this sounds yummy! i think i'm going to try making it!

Sherry said...

Oh, that looks so good!

I'm sitting here reading blogs, hungry, thinking about what to have for dinner and then I find your post! Providence?

Becky said...

Everything you make looks soooo easy and yummy!!! I fix my cube steak and gravy in an iron skillet. Yours looks easier and less messy!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! I know that it's almost dinner time, but my stomach just started growling and my mouth started watering when I saw this post! THIS is what the Gelinas house will be eating this week!

Denise K. said...

Mmm...this one looks delicious too! I am anxious to try so many of your recipes!!

Mimi, when we were at Disney's Hollywood Studios we ate at the "Hollywood Brown Derby" which is a replica of the orginal old Hollywood venue. They had a recipe card we could take for the original, "Brown Derby Cobb Salad." It was a staple recipe that celebrities enjoyed for years decades ago.

In looking over the recipe there were some ingredients I wasn't familiar with...do you know what "Chicory and Watercress Lettuce" is? I am familiar with iceberg, mixed greens, red leaf, etc...but didn't know what the above was. It also called for "English Mustard." Is that the same as a spiced mustard? What would you use as a subsitute? I just thought I would ask the expert! :-)

Thanks so much!

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog. I thought the name sounded familiar. I became a follower of your recipe blog some time ago. I love to cook!! Happy Easter to you too. It is nice to meet another person from NC. Love & blessings from NC!

Lighthouse Prayer Line said...

Hi MiMi,

Thanks for sharing that with us! I'll have to be sure to try that dish!

Have a very Happy Easter!! :)

Hey. If you get the opportunity, would you
mind praying for the prayer requests that are
on our main page?

May the Lord bless you and your family!!

Mark, Lynn, Brooke & Carley Seay
www.LighthousePrayerLine.org

ps - please consider "following" our blog
-or- atleast grab one of our free, linking,
blue buttons. ( see top sidebar at
www.LighthousePrayerLine.org ).

•´.¸¸.•¨¯`♥.Visit Us Soon!.♥´¯¨•.¸¸.´•

Kristin said...

My husband would LOVE this dish. I'm going to try it ont he stovetop. Does it turn out just as well that way, or is it better in the crockpot? Thanks for the recipe!

MiMi said...

Kristin,

The recipe is fine when cooked on the stovetop. I originally started out making this on the stovetop and then later began cooking in the crockpot out of convenience. The steak may be a little more tender when cooked in the crockpot, but I think you will get a good result either way!

Hope you enjoy!