Saturday, September 13, 2008

Mashed Cauliflower


My family loves these "mashed potatoes" and my husband says he actually likes them better than "real" mashed potatoes. Even people that are not normally big fans of  cauliflower usually like these!  

I first learned of mashing cauliflower from my South Beach Diet cookbook.  The recipe in there calls for Fat free half and half and "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" spray, but I prefer to use "real" ingredients without high fructose corn syrup and other additives.  (If you prefer the SB Diet version, substitute 1 oz. "I can't Believe It's Not Butter" spray for the butter and 1 oz. Fat Free Half and Half for regular Half and Half.) They are very good either way!  

1 head of cauliflower
3-4 Tablespoons butter
3-4 Tablespoons half and half
Salt 
Pepper

Remove all leaves and the stem on the head of cauliflower. (I knock the stem part on the divider in my double sink and the entire stem will come off of the head.)


Cut cauliflower into florets.

Place florets in salted boiling water and cook until fork tender; about 10 minutes.


Remove from burner and drain cauliflower in colander until well-drained.

Pour cauliflower florets into bowl of food processor.  

Pulse and grind cauliflower until all pieces are mashed well; stopping to scrape down sides as needed.

Gradually add butter and half and half to mashed cauliflower while pulsing -- until mixture is the consistency of mashed potatoes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.




Pour mashed cauliflower back into your pan. Keep warm on Low heat until ready to serve.





11 comments:

JMBMOMMY said...

I am so excited to try this. We struggle with veggies....

Dani Smith said...

mimi...i am so wimpy with new foods, but i think i will try this! it's such a great way to eat such a healthy food!! maybe i'll pop in on jmbmommy's dinner when she makes it! :) i don't have a food processor-would a hand masher work just as well?

MiMi said...

You should be fine to use a hand masher because the cauliflower will be very tender anyway. I hope you enjoy as much as we do!

Jennifer said...

Mimi,
Hi there, I found your blog through Heather's. I am very excited to be able to find sometime this weekend to look through your blog for recipes. With twins at home, we are always looking for new and exciting ways to make our meals!!!!!!!!! The cauliflower sounds like something that my husband would LOVE!!!!! Thanks for sharing!

andrea said...

wow! another delicious dish! i will definitely make this!

Casey said...

I will definitely try this one. It is right up my alley. I heart veggies.

Kristin said...

I can't wait to try these! As much as I love mashed potatoes, these look just a yummy!

JMBMOMMY said...

I LOVED it!!! And so did hubby, guests, and baby!!! It will be a fav in our home for sure. I'm passing this one along and linking to you if that is okay.

MiMi said...

jmbmommy,

I am SO glad that you liked the recipe! I really love this one, too. I even like them leftover the next day. Thank you so much for letting me know that you liked them and, of course, you can link to me!

Lianna Knight said...

YEAH!!! Another South Beach recipe!!! I'm all over this one...I LOVE cauliflower, but my hubby doesn't really care for it. I think I'm going to test it out and see if he notices :)

I'll get back to you with the results...

JMBMOMMY said...

Hey Mimi--Just wanted you to know I did link to you on my recipe blog--it is just where I tell what I am cooking and recipes I find...so you'll probably be featured a lot :)