Monday, January 10, 2011

Southern SWEET Tea

This post is in response to a request from one of my sweet, blogging friends, Denise, from Colorado, who asked me a LONG time ago to post on my blog how us Southerners brew our sweet tea.

Having grown up in South Georgia, where some would say our sweet tea bordered on being a SYRUP, I forget that not everyone drinks their iced tea the way we do here in the South.  Believe it or not, my husband is actually from a family that drinks their tea UN-SWEET!  I think that MUST surely be against some Southern Law... right! Don't worry...I converted him over YEARS ago! ( :


4 Family Size Tea Bags
1 - 1 1/3 cups of sugar (or 3/4 cup Splenda, if desired)
1 gallon size container
Lemon, if desired


Bring small pan of 3-4 cups of filtered water ALMOST to a boil.


Just when the water is about to boil, remove pan from heat and add tea bags.


Allow tea bags to steep in pan of hot water for 7-8 minutes.


When timer goes off, remove tea bags from pot, squeezing them GENTLY over pan. (Discard tea bags.)


Immediately add sugar to the pan while steeped tea is still hot...so that sugar will dissolve.


Stir thoroughly until sugar is completely dissolved.


Pour the steeped tea into a gallon size container that has already been filled about half way with cold filtered water. Add enough water to fill to the top.


Chill in the fridge until ice cold and serve over ice.

Note:  In the South, you MUST have a very fancy gallon container like the one pictured above!  No Southern dinner table is complete without a "JUG of Sweet Tea"! 


It is really only good for about 2 days...after that it's time to make a new batch!


Oh...and if  you TRULY wanna be Southern, it's really wonderful with a squeeze of fresh lemon (or lime)!  YUM!



** HINT :   Our family always keeps this little luxury on hand so you can have 100% pure lemon juice anytime you want it....with just a squeeze!  Enjoy!

4 comments:

Jill said...

HAHAHA! That jug of tea comment made me laugh out loud!

Years ago when I needed to lose weight, I stopped drinking sodas AND sweet tea. Can you believe that? I haven't drank it since, but I have LOTS of family members that love the stuff. :)

Denise K. said...

Oh I am just soooooo excited to make your tea recipe and to know I am making it the "real" southern way!!! Thank you so much for sharing your recipe with us!!! You just made my day!!! :-)

petrii said...

I had NO idea there was a certain way southerns made their sweet tea. Now I'm gonna have to try this. We surely like our sweet tea around here!!

Love you friend,
Dawn

Beth 143 said...

If you're pressed for time, like most of us are,Mrs. Mimi, I put my tea bags in the coffee pot where'd you put the coffee grounds and like you're making coffee! Put sugar in your pitcher and when through brewing add hot brewed tea to pitcher and stir to melt sugar and add cold water and fill to almost the top. Stir in 2 cups of sugar and put in the frig! You don't have to watch the tea and burn your hands on draining tea bags! And they love it! Thank you for all your great recipes! I love cooking MIMI'S WAY! BETH