Friday, January 16, 2009

Chicken Chili

With the weatherman predicting record low temperatures this weekend, I thought you all could use a little comfort food to warm you inside and out! This is what my family will be having tonight on a cold Friday evening.

It's another one of my family's favorites!

You absolutely MUST try this with the Mississippi Cornbread in my previous post!


1 chicken, cooked and shredded, or equivalent
2 Tablespoons oil
1 medium green pepper, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (14.5 oz.) can stewed tomatoes 
1 can Rotel tomatoes  **
16 oz. chunky salsa
16 oz. can black beans, drained (can use pinto beans or chili beans, if preferred)
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt



Chop onion and green pepper.


Finely chop garlic.

Saute green pepper, onion and garlic in oil until tender.

Add stewed tomatoes and Rotel tomatoes.

Add all remaining ingredients and stir until well combined.

Bring to a boil and then cover and turn on Low. Simmer for at least 20 minutes.


Stir well prior to serving.


Top with grated cheese, sliced green onions, sour cream, ripe olives or avocados.

My family also loves it served atop corn chips.


**Note: Can use 2 (14.5 oz.) cans of stewed tomatoes and omit Rotel tomatoes, if preferred.

6 comments:

Casey said...

I love chili this time of year!!! I am always looking for new recipes. This one definitely looks like a keeper!! Yummy

Becky said...

Emilie, it's lunchtime and I'm starving to death for a bowl of your chili. YUMMO!

andrea said...

another mouth-watering recipe! i know what going on my meal plan next week...thanks!
have a great weekend! It's been -40F for the past 6 weeks and it's suppose to get warm this weekend! ya-hoo! stay warm! I totally understand cold weather!

Pug1 said...

I've never had chicken chili, it looks dee-lish! I usually make chili with ground tukey, I think I'll try this recipe sometime! CHEERS! Michele

Susie said...

Hi Emilie, I came over from Bec's blog. She told me you had posted a chicken chili recipe that sounded good. It does sound yummy and that cornbread sounds great too. I may have to try them both out.

Jenny said...

This is on my menu for this week! Can't wait to try it!

The chicken supreme that I made last week came out WONDERFUL!!!! Everyone raved about how good it was!

Have I mentioned how much I love your blog. I even did my weekly menu planning using several of your recipes! Tonight is ham and potato casserole. YUM YUM!!