Friday, January 2, 2009

Creamed Chipped Beef on Toast

This is one of my husband's favorite "comfort foods".  He loves Creamed Chipped Beef, so I recently surprised him with some -- and served it to him in bed, no less!!!  That's TRUE "comfort food", isn't it?


6 oz. sliced dried beef, rinsed in cold water **
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup minced onion
2 Tablespoons flour
2 1/2 cups milk
salt and pepper
1 Tablespoon chopped parsley (optional)
8 slices of buttered toast


Melt butter over medium heat in skillet.


 Add chopped onion and saute until tender.


Sprinkle in flour, stirring constantly until smooth -- about 2-3 minutes.

Gradually add milk while stirring.

Cook 5 - 8 minutes until the sauce is thickened.



Add chipped beef, then salt and pepper to taste.

Keep stirring gravy until well-combined and desired thickness.  Add parsley, if desired, and remove from heat.

Toast bread slices.

Pour gravy over toast and serve.

**  Note:  I substituted thinly sliced beef pictured above, because dried beef is a little too salty for our liking.  If you use, dried beef like this,

be sure to rinse the beef off prior to making recipe.  The beef I substituted works fine, too.

6 comments:

Jill said...

My dad would love this!

andrea said...

i have never heard to dried beef...is that jerky? looks really simply to make and yummy too!

MiMi said...

Andrea,

Dried beef is different than jerky. It's not near as "tough" or hard to chew as jerky.

The kind of beef that I use is actually available where the lunch meats are in your grocery store. (The dried beef that I showed a picture of that needs to be rinsed prior to using, is typically where the canned meats are in your grocery store.) I hope this helps!

It is very simple to make, though, and my hubby loves it!

petrii said...

MMMM Comfort food ~~ I heart comfort food.

Do you know if there is a variety of the dried beef w/o MSG? I don't think I've ever found any.

This sounds delish!!

Love you friend,
Dawn

Ginger said...

Can't wait to try the chicken recipe. It sounds simple enough and looks absolutely delicious.

amanda said...

I'm going to have to try this. My mom made it all of the time when I was little. I don't know anyone else who eats it around here!